This Week in Mediation #933
May 11, 2022 - OUR 27TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
Marital Mediation: Where Are We Going? • The War in Ukraine: Lessons for Mediators • The Avoiding Culture in Organizations • Empathy In Toxic Partisan Pandemic-Based Conflicts: How Organizational Strategy Can Help Us Do Better • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|The War in Ukraine: Lessons for Mediators
by Kenneth Cloke
Every defeat in every war is a tragedy, not merely for the nations, factions, and citizens of countries who have died or been conquered, but for each and all of us everywhere – and not just abstractly, but as very real, very personal losses.
|Marital Mediation: Where Are We Going?
by Susan K. Boardman
This article addresses the need for further study to help more clearly delineate the process of Marital Mediation from Marital Therapy, and perhaps help MM become more widely known as a legitimate process and therefore utilized as a first attempt at healing the relationship.
|Mediate.com Announces the Public Launch of our New Online Dispute Resolution Platform: ODR.com
by Colin Rule, Jim Melamed, Clare Fowler
Our new platform combines the functionality of CaseloadManager.com and CREKODR.com, creating the most powerful and secure ODR system in the world!
|The Avoiding Culture in Organizations
by Ralph Kilmann
Many organizations seem to have a strong avoiding culture, which can best be investigated with a specific change in TKI instructions.
|Empathy In Toxic Partisan Pandemic-Based Conflicts: How Organizational Strategy Can Help Us Do Better
by Lucas Smart
This article examines what the impact of the COVID impact has been on our culture--what can we learn from this to prevent conflict going forward?
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
MEDIATION IN THE NEWS
Real ALL NEWS
Can medical negligence cases be resolved through mediation?
Litigation continues to be the major means by which medical negligence disputes are resolved in Ireland. While the dominant policy agenda focuses on the direct financial cost of litigation, studies have suggested that the need for reform extends beyond financial and temporal concerns.
- Dissent and Dialogue: The Role of Mediation in Nonviolent Uprisings
While both mediation and nonviolent resistance have been the subject of significant scholarly work, the connection of the two fields has received less attention. This report explores several questions: When does mediation occur in the context of nonviolent campaigns? Who tends to mediate? What are the challenges, and what are the outcomes?
- Former MSU star Adreian Payne shot while unarmed, trying to mediate domestic dispute
Former Michigan State star Adreian Payne was shot and killed as he stood unarmed next to his car while trying to intervene in a domestic dispute, according to court documents.
- Fed Up With a Noisy Neighbor? Try Mediation, Not Litigation
There's an old adage in the legal world — divorces are awful, but at least you don't have to live with the person anymore. But, if you sue your neighbor, it can get just as ugly as a divorce, but when it's all over the "enemy" still lives next door.
Nigeria: Senate passes bill to enact Arbitration and Mediation Act, three others for concurrence
The Senate, on Tuesday, passed a Bill to enact the Arbitration and Mediation Act to provide for a unified legal framework for the settlement of commercial disputes.
- NorthShore, Unvaccinated Staff Agree To Mediation In Vax Mandate Suit
NorthShore University HealthSystem and the group of employees who sued over its vaccine mandate agreed to mediation, court records show.
- Greitens' attorneys to decide on third-party mediator in custody case
Attorneys for former Missouri Governor and current U.S. Senate candidate Eric Greitens and his ex-wife will deliver potential mediators for their custody dispute following a Tuesday morning hearing.
- UK Continental Shelf oil and gas mediation pilot program extended
The North Sea Transition Authority (NSTA) has extended the UKCS mediation pilot in order to gather further data to judge its overall value.
- Baltimore Community Mediation Center & The Ceasefire Weekend
The Baltimore Ceasefire movement is led by the same team of neighborhood activists who founded and still lead the Baltimore Community Mediation Center.
|TRAINING & CONFERENCE CALENDAR
See Complete Calendar
- May 13 - ONLINE OK - Advanced Mediation Training
- May 16 - ONLINE TX - 10 Hour Basic Arbitration Training
- May 18 - ONLINE TX - 10 Hour Advanced Arbitration Training
- May 18-20 - ONLINE ON Canada - Advanced Family Mediation (21 Hours)
- May 20-22 - Palm Springs CA - Family Mediation Institute 2022
- May 24 - ONLINE NY - Adding Mediating to Your Career: How to Get Started
- May 27 - ONLINE - Intro to Online Mediation
- May 31-June 25 - ONLINE CA - Conflict Resolution & Mediation Skills Training
- June 1-17 - ONLINE MA - APFM-Verified Divorce Mediation Training
- June 4-18 - ONLINE CA - Community Boards "The Basics of Mediation"
- June 5-27 - ONLINE NJ - 40-Hour Civil Mediation Training - NJ
- June 6-7 - ONLINE - Family Specialist
- June 7-9 - Dallas TX - Family Mediation Training (30 Hours)
- June 13-17 - Kinshsa Gombe Republique Democratique CONGO - THE FIRST ANNUAL CONGO MEDIATION SUMMIT
- June 13-16 - ONLINE TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- June 14-30 - ONLINE MA - Elder Mediation Training
- June 20-July 12 - ONLINE - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop (Virtual)
- June 27-29 - ONLINE TX - 30 Hour Advanced Civil/Advanced Family Mediation Training
- June 29-July 15 - Tucson AZ - 42-Hour Basic Mediation Training (in-person training)
- July 9 - ONLINE MT - Role-Play Workshop - 3 Hr Role Play & Negotiation Exercise
- July 25-26 - ONLINE TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation.
Please review our submission guidelines. This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 20,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals.
You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.